Protecting Vulnerable Groups scheme
What is it?
A new system of criminal records checks for people who work, or
volunteer with children aged under 18 or vulnerable adults. It came
into force on 28th February 2011 and applies only in Scotland.
Why do I need to know about it?
The system applies if your business is in the healthcare, or
education sectors, or if you work in a trade (for example
decorating, plumbing, maintenance) and regularly work on school or
This means that the system might apply to your business even if
you have never needed to do criminal records checks on your staff
in the past.
Will I be breaking the law if I get this
Employers may commit the following offences if they do not take
their responsibilities seriously:
- Offering regulated work to someone who is barred
- Failing to remove a person from regulated work if the employer
has been notified that the person is barred
- Failing to notify the barring authority (Disclosure Scotland)
if an individual doing regulated work causes harm to a child or
What do I need to do?
- Check whether any job roles within your business count as
- If so, you’ll need to either apply to become a "registered
body" with Disclosure Scotland or use the services of an
organisation that will do this for you – called an "umbrella
- Ensure that any new and future recruits into these job roles
are PVG scheme members and that their PVG Scheme Record or Scheme
Record Update is satisfactory
- Put in place proper procedures to ensure Disclosure Scotland is
informed if individuals cause harm
- Ensure your managers understand the new rules.
How can RBS
Mentor can help
you understand whether the PVG scheme applies to job roles within
your business. We can also help with the policies and
procedures you will need to put in place if the scheme does apply,
including how to comply with your obligations under equal
opportunities law and guidance and documentation on
You can listen to the recording of our PVG Webinar by
clicking here or by calling 0800 358
1860 using access code: 890336.
Should you require any additional information on the scheme and
how it could affect your business please contact us on 0800 634
7001 or click here to email us.
Does your business need Mentor?
New and improved Free eLearning modules